Search Linux Wireless

Re: Slow connection with rtl8xxxu and 8192eu chipset

On 14.11.2017 14:42, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Nikolay Borisov <n.borisov.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> (Please CC as I'm not subscribed)
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the tp-link tl-wn822N usb wifi dongle. lsbusb reports it as
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:0108
>>
>> Unfortunately with the in-kernel rtl8xxxu driver I don't get very good
>> results:
>>
>> wifi1     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"HOME"
>>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
>> 30:B5:C2:75:A4:CD
>>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>>           Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
>>           Power Management:off
>>           Link Quality=26/70  Signal level=-84 dBm
>>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:165   Missed beacon:0
>>

>> At the same time if I use an out of tree driver acquired from github:
>> https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver I get the following:
>>
>> wifi1     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"HOME"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
>>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
>> 30:B5:C2:75:A4:CD
>>           Bit Rate:144.4 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
>>           Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>>           Power Management:off
>>           Link Quality=81/100  Signal level=100/100  Noise level=0/100
>>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>>
>> Clearly this is a software problem of the in-kernel driver.
>
> iwconfig is old and not really properly supported anymore. Instead use
> iw and specifically 'iw wlan0 link' to check the transmit rate. And then
> testing speed it's best to use tools like iperf to verify the real
> speed, not just rely on what tools report.

To measure the speed I actually used a proper internet transfer. So in
reality I could hardly get more than 10 megabits with the built-in
adapter, whereas I'm getting 70-80 megabits otherwise. Of course the
test was performed to the same location everytime to reduce noise.