Search Linux Wireless

Re: Commit 0711d638 breaks mwifiex

Hi,

> IIUC, mwifiex hasn't told the firmware to do anything at this point --
> the -EALREADY check is practically the first thing it does within
> connect(). So it just quits the connect() request and tries to carry on
> as usual. It will only do something different if the upper layers tell
> it to do so afterward (e.g., calling disconnect()).

Yeah, that makes sense.

> Yes, that's definitely what's happening. And it's explicitly called out
> in the supplicant's nl80211 driver that this is intentional:
>
> [...]

Right.

> This is the main code path for supplicant commands like "Reattach",
> which boil down to (for non SME drivers):
>
> wpas_request_connection()
>  -> wpa_supplicant_connect()
>    -> wpa_supplicant_associate()
>      -> wpas_start_assoc_cb()
>        -> wpa_drv_associate()
>          -> wpa_driver_nl80211_associate()
>            -> wpa_driver_nl80211_connect()
>
> Now for the part I'm not so familiar with: is this really the *expected*
> flow for full-MAC drivers in reattach, reassociate, and roaming flows?
> All of those seem to boil down to this same connect() (and fallback to
> disconnect()+connect() if -EALREADY) flow.

We never implemented a "ROAM" command, so there's not all that much
choice.

> But it doesn't seem like all full-MAC drivers do the same thing. Some
> seem to just blaze ahead with a connect attempt (maybe some firmwares
> automatically interpret this for us?) and never return -EALREADY at all.

Agree, some seem to just do some form of roaming on this, which really
just means they disconnect internally - or perhaps they even try to
roam if it's the same network?

> Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I'm trying to understand what
> the general expectations are here, based on my relatively narrow
> experience with a few drivers.

I don't really know either! There aren't that many direct cfg80211
drivers that don't use mac80211, so there's not that much experience.

You're probably well positioned to say what the behaviour _should_ be
though? :-)

I tend to think we should actually do the EALREADY from cfg80211, so
that wpa_s will always be forced to go through this roundabout code
path, but also finally implement a ROAM command, to let drivers have
that option?

Note also that we've always sort of envisioned that drivers
implementing CONNECT would do BSS selection themselves, but I think
there's no automatic way of doing that with wpa_s, and it may not even
be desirable in many cases (unless you really need the power saving
advantage) since it gets us into a situation where we have all these
different algorithms etc.

johannes