Search Linux Wireless

Re: Setting single rate in ath10k broken by "reject/clear user rate mask if not usable"

On 10/18/2017 01:34 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 19:56 +0200, Oleksij Rempel wrote:

People trying to do regulatory testing want this feature, and other people
that are not me also like to test with specific rates.  Still a
small-ish set of people, but bigger than just me at least.

Till now i was interviewing different people who was asking for this for
ath9k-htc. So I would say we have:
- academical researchers
- testers
- R&D
- exploit and penetration testers
- HAM
- just hackers

As for me, it sounds a s lot.

Making (literally) millions of devices in the field hit a WARN_ON() is
not really acceptable either though.

You can argue that this introduced a regression, but putting the old
behaviour back would equally be a regression, for more systems by a few
orders of magnitude.

In any case, I've already suggested a way to fix this, but you've both
completely ignored that part of my email. All I've been reading is that
you're demanding that I fix this, and arguments about how much people
are allowed to shoot themselves in the foot, none of which is very
constructive.

You mean this part?  It wasn't clear to me that you thought this was a good
solution that should be implemented.

"
I guess you could implement this part? I.e. iterating the clients and
checking that they all support the rate that is set. However, then you
also need to implement that this gets reset when a new client that
doesn't support this rate connects.
"

The first part seems OK, but the second seems like a pain.  Maybe just
keep a new client from being able to connect at all if it doesn't support
any available rates?

Thanks,
Ben

I might even fix it myself eventually, if only to appease the people
who say we have a zero tolerance no regressions rule, but it's not
exactly the most important thing I'm doing right now (also, I'll be
going on vacation for a few days, and you can probably implement my
suggestion in that time, and then I can review it when I get back on
Monday.)

Let's just say that I think we're discussing the wrong thing here - we
ought to be discussing how it can be fixed, and perhaps you can even be
constructive in suggesting (and testing, which I can't really do)
changes.

johannes

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>