Search Linux Wireless

Re: Patch "rtlwifi: btcoexist: Fix antenna selection code" has been added to the 4.13-stable tree

On 09/10/2017 03:42 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
queue-4.13/rtlwifi-btcoexist-fix-antenna-selection-code.patch

After applying these patches on top of 4.13.1 the WiFi on my laptop
works again (thanks, Larry!), but now rtl8723be needs the ant_sel=2
parameter which is a bit odd, because previously it had been working
(only) with ant_sel=1.  This looks like it has not been intended?

The changes in the BT coexistence are rather substantial, and I had no part in those changes. That code is used in both Windows and Linux, and the Linux group is presented with the package. The best we can do is divide their massive changes into pieces that are small enough to be accepted by the Linux community.

One thing I can say is that when a single antenna is connected to port 2 on my card, ant_sel=1 works. When it is connected to post 1, then ant_sel=0 works; however, my card is encoded to use two antennas. As I do not know what value is encoded in your EFUSE, I cannot predict what value should work for you.

What I am reasonably certain is that if you were to open your computer and move the single antenna lead to the other port, then you would not need to use any ant_sel command as the new port would match the EFUSE value. According to reports, that would break the Windows driver, but I do not have the setup necessary to test that assertion.

As I have stated before, this ant_sel code was implemented to provide a service for Linux users that were screwed by their vendor. If I had known how much grief this attempt would cause me, I would have told the affected users to complain to that vendor. It is clearly true that no good deed goes unpunished!

Larry