Search Linux Wireless

New Realtek driver

Kalle and Greg,

Once again I find myself in the awkward position of needing to submit code to two different trees, i.e. wireless and staging.

The code in question concerns a new Realtek device, the RTL8822BE. The device is already shipping, and Realtek would like it to be available in kernel 3.14. As it consists of ~120,000 new lines of code, I have assured Realtek that 3.14 would not be possible, at least in the wireless tree. What I plan to do is submit the changes in the existing drivers through wireless, and the three totally new drivers through staging. My expectation is that this code would live for a relatively short time there, but going that route would give time for the code to be reviewed properly, but still be available in a kernel driver. All of the new code will be available in a GitHub repo maintained by Realtek for those users whose distros do not configure anything in staging.

For my part, I will push the wireless tree material as fast as I can and hope there is time available near the end of the 4.13-rcX sequence for the material to reach 4.14-rc1.

Thanks for your understanding and help.

Larry