Search Linux Wireless

Re: BUG: brcmfmac: add firmware feature detection for gscan feature breaks 43430a1

On 17-07-17 20:31, Ian Molton wrote:
> On 17/07/17 18:50, Ian Molton wrote:
>> Resent due to subject error. Apologies, Hante :)
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> 9fe929aaace6  brcmfmac: add firmware feature detection for gscan feature
>>
>> Completely breaks 43430a1 support.
>
> Digging a bit deeper, this would *appear* to be one of a couple of
> possibilities;
>
> 1) brcmf_sdio_hostmail() is missing code to handle a response of type
>    0x40012
> 2) The firmware is failing when asked to handle the new requiests, and
>    is going to la-la land.

taken a wrong turn straight into la-la land.

> Decoding the reply gives us HMB_DATA_DEVREADY or-ed with 0x40010
>
> Since the upper half-word is masked, that leaves us with 0x10 which does
> not appear to be a defined state.
>
> The driver does not handle this well, in any event.
>
> My guess is that you are working on top of newer firmware than I have.
> Can you let me know what the latest public firmware is, and where I can
> get it?
>
> I have version wl0: Aug 29 2016 20:48:16 version 7.45.41.26 (r640327)
> FWID 01-4527cfab

Not so much newer firmware, but I used a different chip when
implementing the multi-scheduled scan patches. I tried some other
devices, but not the bcm4343{0,8}. Now as far as I can see over here the
brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin is not built with gscan support so it should just
return firmware errorcode, ie. -23. So it would be interesting to see
what firmware has to say. Can you load the driver with
ignore_probe_fail=1 and dump the forensics file in debugfs.

Regards,
Arend