Search Linux Wireless

Re: RFC: Broadcom fmac wireless driver cleanup

Gmail seems to mark your replies as spam :(

On 17 July 2017 at 11:34, Ian Molton <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17/07/17 05:53, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> I looked at 4 random patches and none got any description. Not to
>> mention their chaotic subjects. In this state I can't even review it.
>> If you want to have some change accepted, you've to convince us it's
>> needed. Work on cleaning your patches and resend them. You also need
>> to signed off your changes.
>
> This isn't my first rodeo. I know there are only outline descriptions,
> and no Sob.
>
> Thats because this is an RFC. You sign off *finished* work.

Sending signed patches, include RFCs is much more convenient. It
allows e.g. other people to pick your work if you won't manage to get
in accepted for some reason.

> This is a codebase I'm not 100% familiar with, and I don't know the
> maintainers - Im not going to polish patches if they aren't then going
> to get accepted upstream.
>
> I'm looking for comments on the actual *code*. Review requires *reading*
> it. Review is not just "I read the description and it looked ok at the
> time" - Thats clearly how this code got into this state in the first place.

I don't expect patches to be perfectly polished at RFC phase. I also
never said I'm interested in description only. Don't expect to get
nicely described hack to get accepted for that reason.

Description is supposed to provide a context for the changes. It's
easier to review *code changes* knowing what you are trying to
fix/achieve. It saves a lot of guessing time.

> Honestly, the patch robot has given more useful feedback than the humans
> on here thus far.
>
> But hey, if thats how patch submission works these days... I'll add some
> descriptions. But I'd better not be polishing this stuff for no reason.

Insulting maintainers may not be the best way of getting your stuff
reviewed & accepted.

--
Rafał