Search Linux Wireless

nl80211 vendor commands on upstream drivers

Hi,

last fall at Wireless Summit at Santa Fe we talked about having nl80211
vendor commands in upstream drivers[1]. The discussion starter was this
wil6210 patch:

wil6210: low level RF sector API
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9403071/

The conclusion from the discussion was that in some (rare) cases having
vendor commands in upstream is acceptable, for example like here when
interfacing low level hw features which most likely is not not
compatible with other designs.

But this does not mean that the gates are open for all possible hacks
via vendor commands, we still want to have generic nl80211 interface for
all normal functionality. Just to give some examples of something which
is NOT acceptable:

* yet another scanning interface (exception maybe being spectral scan?)
* power save settings
* btcoex settings

Comments? Am I forgetting something from the discussion?

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQXbVQ-3zQt3Bcr3OWfwzbw_C49tTvf0ed8Hmf7b20E6tXc3a40tWZmPku49iGDE-OhgxNmO_lkkHEn/pub

--
Kalle Valo