Search Linux Wireless

Re: wlan0 keeps deauthenticating DEAUTH_LEAVING about every minute

On 03/24/2017 08:32 PM, Dennis New wrote:
Ever since I upgraded to the 4.10 kernels (I don't think this behavior
existed in the 4.8 series), after I startup my laptop (either from cold
boot, or from standby), my wlan0 interface keeps deauthenticating

19:24:29 kernel: wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:11:22:33:44:55 by
local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)

usually exactly 60 seconds after it authenticates/associates (to my
open wifi access point), but not always 60 seconds after -- sometimes
it happens in less than 60 seconds. Although, if it somehow manages to
pass the 60 second mark without deauthenticating, it remains stable --
unless I decide to /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart it :s. I'm not sure
what makes makes the deauthentications suddenly stop, but after various
incantations and module unloading/reloading and a fair amount of
cursing, or possibly just waiting some random amount of time, the
problem goes away for the day ... and returns the next day when I boot
up again, and I have to go through this torturous process all over
again, of praying and restarting my wlan0 interface.

When you file a bug report such as this, you need to provide information regarding what specific card you have. The appropriate stanza from "lspci -nn" has that information.

I do not normally run a b43 wireless NIC, but I did pull out an ancient laptop that uses the PCMCIA version of a BCM4318 with PCI ID of 14e4:4318. Running kernel 4.10.0, I do see periodic drops. My period is 120 sec and the drop is a reason 7, not reason 3 as you see. Another difference is that I see the drops with kernel 4.8.0 as well. With the earlier kernel, the drop period is closer to 60 sec, but it is not as regular. I will be checking even earlier kernels to see if I can find a "good" value for bisection.

Larry