Search Linux Wireless

Re: Wireless failed

On 03/19/2017 12:15 PM, Fernanda Vejar wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam, I am writing you because I cannot make the wireless
connection work. I have just installed a new Linux operative system
which has no driver for the wireless card. I have the device "Intel
Centrino Wireless-N 2230" into my computer and I have been trying to
follow the instructions given by "wireless.wiki.kernel" with the
following steps: 1) I installed the corresponding firmware
"iwlwifi-2030-ucode-18.168.6.1.". 2) I installed the driver LinuxCore5
as indicated and rebooted. 3) As I found no change, I have noted that
the hostap was absent. Than I cloned it. 4) Since it also didn't work,
I took "linux-firmware" and I installed "-9 ucode: 7260, 3160, 7265"
at /lib/firmware. I think I maybe did something wrong, but I don't
know how can I undo all these steps and try again. I really hope you
can give me some hint. Thank you very much in advance. Best Regards,
Fernand Vejar

I have nothing to do with any Intel wireless drivers, but I will give you some advice regarding your problem.

Whenever you are reporting a problem, you must ABSOLUTELY specify the distro and version of your Linux. You should also specify the kernel version as shown by the "uname -r" command. It is also helpful if you specify the wireless hardware by posting the appropriate stanza from the "lspci -nn" command.

The above will verify what device you have, but the most probable driver is iwlwifi, which has been in the kernel for a very long time. I would be very surprised if any distributed kernel did not have this driver available. You can run the lsmod command to see if the driver is loaded. You should also check the log using "dmesg | less" to see if the firmware is missing.

Larry

--
If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off
the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there.

Linus Torvalds