Search Linux Wireless

Re: Open source driver with binary HAL for BCM4313 from Broadcom

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:47 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
>> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 19:44:52 Tim Gardner wrote:
>> > John,
>> >
>> > Here is the URL to Broadcom's web site advertising their open source
>> > driver with support for the BCM4313.
>> >
>> > http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>> >
>> > rtg
>>
>> <quote>
>> Make sure that you download the appropriate tar because the hybrid binary
>> file must be of the appropriate architecture type. The hybrid binary file
>> is agnostic to the specific version of the Linux kernel because it is
>> designed to perform all interactions with the operating system through
>> operating-system-specific files...
>> </quote>
>
> Sure, they are trying to do the MadWifi thing, but it's too late since a
> good free driver exists already, even if it doesn't support that
> particular chip.

I really don't understand why - they should do it the iwlwifi way.

> Still, the glue code and the headers are under GPL.  It may be useful
> for reverse engineering efforts.
>
> Perhaps the non-free object files could be used to extract firmware from
> them.  But the license won't allow distribution of that firmware, if I
> understand correctly.
>
> What Broadcom could easily do is to release the firmware under a license
> that would allow free distribution.  This way, the firmware would be on
> installation CDs of the popular distributions, and there would be no
> need to install b43-fwcutter, get the firmware (that's a challenge in
> absence of a wired network), extract the firmware and install it into
> the right directory.  That would make Broadcom cards make out-of-box,
> and ultimately make them more popular.
>
> Instead, Broadcom tries to control the code its users are running.  I
> don't think it's going to work well.  But to be fair to them, at least
> they don't pretend that Linux doesn't exit.

And that's quite an achievement...
Anyway, what are the actual, working download links? The ones on the
site just 404 out for me.

> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin
> --

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)