Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211_hwsim - simulator of 802.11 radios for mac80211

> I'm currently running Linux 2.6.25 on my laptop and as such, this is
> indeed not based on the latest changes. I'll fix couple of issues in the
> current code with 2.6.25-based version and then look into making a
> submission against wireless-testing (or if there are large, pending
> patches that are not yet there, against something including those
> changes).

I don't think there are large pending changes, but there were large
changes in the way channels are registered, tx control works etc.

> > One thing caught my eye: you use GFP_KERNEL in the tx routine, that's
> > not good, it is running under a spinlock.
>
> Thanks, I'll fix that. I was trying to follow the documentation in
> net/mac80211.h to verify that it is correct, but clearly I missed the
> comment on tx() about the handler having to be atomic.

You should probably use the _irqsafe versions of rx and txstatus too.

> > One thing that I'd like to add is a having a "global" monitor interface
> > that is registered by the hwsim module and not mac80211 and shows all
> > frames, regardless of channel etc.
>
> Yes, I've been thinking of something similar, too. I'll add a netdev
> that gets all frames with radiotap header.

Maybe it could support injection on that too, so you can test against a
userspace agent.

The design I had come up with a long time ago allowed userspace to
control each radio by having each _radio_ have a raw netdev like this
and not doing forwarding in the kernel but relying on some userspace
tool, but I guess that much more complicated.

johannes