Search Linux Wireless

Re: Strange Behaviors in 802.11 Association MLME

On Mon, 2017-01-16 at 16:16 -0500, Jinghao Shi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're working on a formal validation framework for wireless protocol
> implementations. We have performed experiments on the 802.11
> association state machine and have found peculiar association
> behaviors.We'd like to share our findings to the community and
> confirm
> whether they reveal potential implementation bugs.
>
> TLDR version: the client sends association request despite having
> received association response from the AP, is this a bug?
>
> We utilized a real time reactive packet jammer to create the
> following
> packet loss pattern (the rate control policy was set to re-transmit
> the packet at most once before reporting the packet as failed. This
> may not be realistic in practice but helps reveal interesting
> behaviors faster.)
>
>  - ASSOC_REQ (received by the AP, confirmed by the following
> ASSOC_RESP)
>  - ACK <---- JAMMED
>  - ASSOC_REQ_RETRY <----- JAMMED, the driver will declare this packet
> as failed
>  - ASSOC_RESP (received by the client, confirmed by the following
> ACK)
>  - ACK
>  - ASSOC_REQ <--- problematic packet
>  - ...

I don't really see a problem. We assume that the packet was lost due to
the missing ACK, so instead of waiting for a long time, we transmit a
new one. Typically, a missing ACK is far less likely than a missing
frame.

If, as here, the association response arrives, we should properly act
on it either way.

johannes