Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 0/1] ath9k: Frame corruption simulator

On 20/01/17 15:45, Ben Greear wrote:

On 01/20/2017 06:29 AM, Wojciech Dubowik wrote:
I have been debugging customer reported timeout and loss of
communication and I have relaized that I don't have such a lossy
environment available in the lab. To speed up debugging I have
written frame corruption simulator which will allow me to
totally loose specific types of packets. I have been mostly
using it with the mask 0x5000 which drops some EAPOL
and deauthentication frames. This way I was able to test better
timeouts and fail paths.
At the moment only management, null function and EAPOL frames
are supported. One can add more if necessary.

Would it be worth having a unique percentage configurable for each
of the selected packet types?
I wanted to keep it simple. I have been just repeating test when I didn't have luck with specific frame loss sequence. In real life conditions frame are not lost
more or less depending on the type. Unless there is a hacker behind;o)

How about moving this up into mac80211 so other drivers could
be supported as well?  Couldn't you just drop the frames instead
of corrupting their checksum?  That would work with things like ath10k
as well.
I have started so but then:
 1) no more tx flags available
2) how other drivers can handle tx frame corruption in HW so it is eqivalent
  to frame corruption in the air
3) info.control.flags are being freed at some point in ath9k and I don't know
   how it works in other drivers
4) dropping is not equal tx failed with no ack as status for tx drop status is always ok
seen from mac layer.
For example it makes a difference for hostapd with EAPOL TX Status. There, mlme sends an event when no ack is received and whole series failed. Actually one could
specify whether to drop, to corrupt or just add random data.

Wojtek

I would like to have something like this, but with the added ability
to corrupt specific things like information-elements in management
frames to better test the receiver's packet parsing and error checking
logic.  For this feature, checksum would not be corrupted.

Thanks,
Ben