Search Linux Wireless

Re: Break-it testing for wifi

On Mon, 2016-11-21 at 08:10 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

> I am thinking about adding some sort of framework to wpa_supplicant
> and/or the mac80211 stack to allow purposefully creating bad station
> behaviour in order to test robustness of APs.

I'm interested in this.

Have you seen the fuzzer stuff in wpa_s/hostapd?

See

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=7d3f18d72c3c883112ee927fc402c0eaed09ff65

for example for something Jouni did after our discussions recently.

> Some ideas so far:
>
> 1)  Allow supplicant to do bad state-machine transitions (start 4-way
> before associating, for instance).

Why would you do that? In order to test the AP implementation?

> 2)  Randomly corrupt mgt frames in driver and/or mac80211 stack
> and/or supplicant.

I think fuzzing the input path for those frames would be more useful
than just corrupting things.

> 3)  Possibly allow user to make specific corruptions.  This would
> probably be in supplicant
>      only, and I am not sure how this would be configured.  Maybe
> allow user to over-ride
>      existing IEs and add bogus ones of their own choosing.

No idea what you really mean by this :)

> 4)  Maybe some specific tests like putting in over-flow sized lengths
> of IEs.

Again, fuzzing would cover this?

> Has anyone done anything similar they would like to share?
>
> Johannes:  Any interest in having such a framework in upstream
> kernels?

I suspect you have something entirely different in mind, like testing a
(remote) AP implementation?

All of the local testing is probably better done via hwsim?

johannes