Search Linux Wireless

mac80211 ad-hoc mode problems

Hi,

While adding adhoc shared network support to NM, I ran into a few
mac80211 problems.

1) doesn't send SIOCGIWAP event on successful adhoc activation (patch
forthcoming)

2) takes a _really_ long time to create an adhoc network.  This is
controlled by IEEE80211_IBSS_JOIN_TIMEOUT.  Why is that 20 seconds?  The
problem here is that wpa_supplicant has an association timer shorter
than IEEE80211_IBSS_JOIN_TIMEOUT and will re-try the connection,
causing mac80211 to reset ifsta->ibss_join_req.  FullMAC drivers will
simply look in their scan list (and optionally perform one scan) and if
the IBSS isn't found, create it.  I'd really like to
take IEEE80211_IBSS_JOIN_TIMEOUT down to 5 or 7 seconds.  This is only
the initial IBSS creation, IBSS merging will still be in effect.  I
simply thing 20 seconds is really too long here.

3) doesn't send NULL SIOCGIWAP disassoc events when the device goes down
or the module is removed.  Where's the best place to put the event on
module remove?

4) Is the association expected to survive a up->down->up sequence?  If
not, then we should be sending NULL SIOCGIWAP event whenever dev_close()
gets called.

5) mac80211 requires the device to be down when changing modes.  That's
fine; but requires a patch to wpa_supplicant to handle this.  This would
cause failures when switching AP that were different modes from NM.
See:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2008-June/017894.html

Dan