Search Linux Wireless

Re: sequence diagrams in rst documentation

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Markus Heiser <markus.heiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 18.10.2016 um 16:52 schrieb Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> *Only* adding the PNG would be awful, I'd have to keep track of the
>>> corresponding source elsewhere, and perhaps couldn't even GPL it
>>> because then I couldn't distribute the PNG without corresponding
>>> source...
>>>
>>> Adding the source text would really be the only practical choice, but
>>> doing so makes it easy to mismatch things, and also very easy to use
>>> proprietary services for it that may go away at any time, etc.
>>
>> Agreed. And there are other problems with attaching binaries (although
>> I'd say we should fix them too) [1].
>>
>> [1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/02a78907-933d-3f61-572e-28154b16b9e5@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hmm, I was not briefed that binaries are problematic. I have seen
> GIFs e.g. [2] and PDFs with a long history (when I worked with the media
> documentation), so I thought binaries are OK.
>
> Can you give me some more hints to understand in what ways they are
> problematic?  / sorry if my question seems dump /

You can download incremental patches from https://www.kernel.org/ for
kernel updates. Seems so 90s, but people apparently still do this. I
don't think the traditional diff/patch tools play ball with
binaries. The least that could be done is to generate the patches using
git diff --binary to include the git binary diff format. I don't see how
that would be worse than having just "Binary files foo and bar differ"
in the diff.

Personally I don't really mind including binaries if they are the
*source* format. If they're generated from something else, that
something else should be tracked in git instead.

And Someone(tm) should fix the tooling to handle binaries...

BR,
Jani.