Search Linux Wireless

Re: Problem with 40Mhz on 2.5GHz with Intel 8260

Hi,

On 09/20/2016 07:39 AM, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Volker Mische <volker.mische@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm having connectivity issues with an Intel 8260 on a 2.5GHz network
>> when using 40Mhz. I'm getting errors like
>>
>>     Queue 2 stuck for 10000 ms.
>>
>> I've upgrade my system to the firmware version 21 (21.373438.0) and
>> Kernel 4.8.0-rc6 in hope that it fixes the issue and to be able to debug
>> the problem.
>>
>> I then found the page about platform noise [1]. I don't have any issue
>> for several hours now (normally I was hitting the issue every few
>> minutes) as I've set the cfg80211_disable_40mhz_24ghz parameter.
>>
>> Now I wonder, is it worth debugging the issue with being on 40MHz or is
>> disabling the proper solution and I should bother.
>
> Well... depends whom you ask and how much time you have :)

I really want to get this sorted out.

> We tried a few times to debug those, but they take a very long time to debug
> since typically we need lots of reproductions and the firmware team
> doesn't always
> the time to look at the data immediately so in the end, the people who
> reported this
> originally went away.
> Note that 40MHz on 2.4GHz is not an optimal configuration in crowded
> environment,
> but if you live in a place where you are pretty much the only one using those
> frequencies, then, it can be beneficial.

It's at home. I normally see only one other wifi (I need to check which
frequency that one is using).

> What you can try is to disable low power states (by using power_scheme
> in iwlmvm) and see if it helps.

I will try that.

> This setting has a bigger impact than cfg80211_disable_40mhz_24ghz
> but it can give a hint as where the problem is coming from.

I'll report back.

Should I open a bug report (or use an existing one) or should we keep
the discussion on the mailing list?

Cheers,
  Volker