Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ipw3945-devel] Monitor mode on boot

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 04:03:15PM +0200, Stefanik Gábor wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Martin Dubuc <martind1111@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You are right pointing out that it is possible to perform monitor mode
> > configuration using startup scripts. However, to fit nicely in existing
> > frameworks, such as the ones available from Fedora, it would be nice that
> > the driver be enhanced. Madwifi allows users to put a configuration like
> > this one in the modprobe.conf.:
> >
> > options ath_pci autocreate=monitor
> >
> > The nice thing about such a configuration is that it decouples the device
> > type configuration from the interface management function. One does not need
> > to worry which interface (wlan0, wlan1, wlan2, etc.) a device will come up
> > on, the system configures any device of a given type using a common set of
> > configuration. For systems that have only one Wi-Fi device, your method is
> > as good as this one, but for systems that have more than one Wi-Fi device,
> > some of them coming off and on while the system is running, possibly using
> > different interface names, the modprobe.conf solution is better.
> >
> > Martin
> >

> This might better be done in the stack, rather than the driver. This way,
> all drivers would get this functionality. CCing the linux-wireless mailing
> list.

In general I think we would like to avoid module options, especially
in cases where the userland equivalent is easily accomplished.
But if this is truly warranted it would make more sense to put it
into mac80211 than into an individual driver.

Why would you want to automatically create several monitor interfaces
on the same box?  Won't this usually be more-or-less redundant?

> Also, since an userspace solution might be preferred by Linville and the
> other wireless maintainers, it might be wise to add an "aggregate device" or
> a "supermaster" which can be targeted by iw so that all devices governed by
> that driver get a new interface.

Gack!  The last thing I would want to see is more magical netdevs
with mysterious purposes...

> Alternatively, a script can be made that creates a monitor interface on monX
> or rtapX for all wmasterX devices. This is equivalent to madwifi's solution,
> except that it's userspace, which is preferred now.

The scripts later in the thread seem simple enough.  Do they suffice?

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx