Search Linux Wireless

Fwd: [ipw3945-devel] Monitor mode on boot

Oops... linux-wireless doesn't accept HTML.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stefanik Gábor <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ipw3945-devel] Monitor mode on boot
To: Martin Dubuc <martind1111@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ipw3945-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-wireless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Martin Dubuc <martind1111@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You are right pointing out that it is possible to perform monitor mode configuration using startup scripts. However, to fit nicely in existing frameworks, such as the ones available from Fedora, it would be nice that the driver be enhanced. Madwifi allows users to put a configuration like this one in the modprobe.conf.:
>
> options ath_pci autocreate=monitor
>
> The nice thing about such a configuration is that it decouples the device type configuration from the interface management function. One does not need to worry which interface (wlan0, wlan1, wlan2, etc.) a device will come up on, the system configures any device of a given type using a common set of configuration. For systems that have only one Wi-Fi device, your method is as good as this one, but for systems that have more than one Wi-Fi device, some of them coming off and on while the system is running, possibly using different interface names, the modprobe.conf solution is better.
>
> Martin

This might better be done in the stack, rather than the driver. This
way, all drivers would get this functionality. CCing the
linux-wireless mailing list.
Also, since an userspace solution might be preferred by Linville and
the other wireless maintainers, it might be wise to add an "aggregate
device" or a "supermaster" which can be targeted by iw so that all
devices governed by that driver get a new interface.
Alternatively, a script can be made that creates a monitor interface
on monX or rtapX for all wmasterX devices. This is equivalent to
madwifi's solution, except that it's userspace, which is preferred
now.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)