Search Linux Wireless

Re: obtain commit list

On 17-2-2016 15:07, Bob Copeland wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:40:26AM +0100, Arend Van Spriel wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> With the old wireless testing I used to provide a list of commits that
>> were merged from wireless-testing into our internal repo. I am trying to
>> determine the strategy to produce that list with the new
>> wireless-testing using rebase stategy. Do you have a good suggestion for
>> that?
>
> Hi Arend,
>
> So I suppose it depends somewhat on how you are using the tree, whether
> you are merging w-t still or rebasing your own tree, but here's a couple
> of barely tested ideas.  [Corrections welcome, I just tried a few things
> that looked "close enough", but I suppose some cases where the downstream
> trees rebase could muck up the result somewhat.]

I am actually doing a rebase of our internal tree on new w-t.

> Suppose I want to see which commits have been added between two
> wireless-testing tags, I can do, for example:
>
>     git log wt-2016-02-17 ^wt-2016-02-15 -- net drivers/net/wireless | \
>         git shortlog
>
> You'll see a handful of merge commits from me that don't end up in the
> upstream, but otherwise should see a reasonable set of commits that got
> merged, in this case a few iwlwifi patches.
>
> Now suppose you're rebasing your internal tree on top of w-t/master
> periodically, e.g., you have:
>
>     wt-oldbase -- A -- B -- C -- D
>
> And rebase onto a new w-t tag to get (suppose A is merged upstream):
>
>     wt-newbase -- B' -- C' -- D'
>
> wt-oldbase and wt-newbase actually have dated tags associated with them,
> but perhaps it is too much work to look them up and you just use
> "wireless-testing/master" in your rebase script.

Instead of doing 'git pull --rebase' I always start with 'git fetch' so
I get:

 + cdf56a8...34bbd49 master     -> wl-testing/master  (forced update)

which give me wt-oldbase vs wt-newbase.

> Then you could do the same thing but first get the base of the tree:
>
>     wt_oldbase=$(git merge-base --fork-point wireless-testing/master D)
>     wt_newbase=$(git merge-base --fork-point wireless-testing/master D')
>     git log $wt_newbase ^$wt_oldbase

This time it only gave me the merge commits as there were no patches on
our drivers (I submitted ours a bit late). Still it seems this could
work for me so for that: Thanks!

Regards,
Arend