Search Linux Wireless

Re: Wrong wireless nick card name loaded on reboot

On 02/17/2016 10:57 AM, German wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:44 -0600
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/17/2016 05:09 AM, German wrote:
Hi list,

A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card
name. It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong).
Someone suggested  that this is because another kernel module is
loaded by mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified
with AR9285, it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When
system identifies my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at
all ( lspci -k). The wrong card name occurs only when system
rebooted. If I gracefully shut down the system, it always comes up
with a right name for the card ( AR9285). So, how to force the
system identify my card right no matter if I reboot or shut down?
Thank you.

I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier message.
Why did you not reply to the earlier one so that everything would be
in the same thread? That would have made searching the archives
easier. As a result, I may be duplicating some previous information.

The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID.
If your system is showing the wrong device, then you may have
hardware problems such that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To
test this, please provide the output of the command

lspci -nn | grep Network

for the "good" and "bad" case.

Larry

Larry, here is the "bad" case:

lspci -nn | grep Network
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:ff1c] (rev 01)

The kernel scans the various PCI buses to gather the ID information from the various cards. Sometimes your device returns [168c:ff1c] and other times it returns [168c:002b]. The lable, i.e. the stuff from "Qualcomm" to "Adapter" does not come from the card. That info is in a file on your computer, and is based on the PCI ID read from the card.

There is some kind of hardware problem causing two different IDs to be read. Assuming that everything else is working correctly, it is likely the wifi card at fault. If you can get to the card on your machine, I suggest reseating it in its socket just in case it is a contact problem. Otherwise, I have no suggestions.

Larry

I'm not