Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v2] mac80211: add A-MSDU tx support

On 2016-02-07 12:56, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
>>> well.. Yes, you can't assume that you'll have one descriptor for one
>>> MSDU payload  (unless the driver doesn't advertise SG to the
>>> netstack).
>> Okay, please make a suggestion describing the exact kinds of limits you
>> would need for iwlwifi.
>
> Are athX devices able to handle MPDUs with any number of frags? Say if
> you have 30 different physically contiguous fragments, the DMA would
> be able to load all these into one single packet and send it to the
> air?
I think athX devices have no limitations there. I'm not testing this
with atheros devices though - ath9k does not have mac80211
per-sta-per-tid queueing support yet. I'm working with MediaTek MT76x2
chipsets with my mt76 driver, which I will upstream soon.

> iwlwifi currently has the limitation of 20 Transmit Buffers (BTs)
> which I mentioned earlier. I guess it'd be nice if the driver would be
> able to advertise how many fragments it can handle. Then, you'd need
> to stop the A-MSDU building if you'd cross this boundary?
>
> You can look at skb_shinfo(skb)->nr_frags to know how many frags you
> have for each skb. On top of that, you need 1 frag for each subframe
> (subframe header).
I implemented all of your suggestions in RFC v3, let me know if
anything's missing.

- Felix