Search Linux Wireless

Re: Mac80211 : Wpa rekeying issue

On 05/01/16 16:50, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2016-01-05 at 11:54 +0100, Matthias May wrote:

Not safe as in "access to stuff which has to be locked", or not safe
as
in "a CCMP replay attack is possible"?
When changing this we argumented that since we are not really
connected
yet, a CCMP replay attack doesn't really make sense.

It's a bit more complicated than my first look suggested, it seems.

However, I'm not sure what effect your patch is supposed to have.
You're skipping CCMP replay checking and update when not authorized
yet, at which point the station isn't receiving frames anyway (though
they'd be checked for all this, they'd later be discarded).

Once it becomes authorized, you do the checks. However, it never
becomes unauthorized again, even for rekeying, so for the PTK rekeying
issue at hand it's pretty much a no-op?

afaik it solves the issue that when a STA roames from AP1 to AP2, and key material is installed at different times. We observed encrypted frames which had a wrong CCMP counter. If the STA updates it's counter with these frames then depending on the wrong CCMP value received, up to a few hundred frames were dropped.
Not exactly the same as rekeying but the effect are pretty similar.

johannes

PS: the comment in your patch is also wrong:

+               /* If we are a station update the ccmp counter only when we are
+                * authorised. For all other modes always update. */
+               if (!rx->sta ||
+                   (rx->sta && test_sta_flag(rx->sta, WLAN_STA_AUTHORIZED)) ) {

There's no check for "if we are a station" here.

Yeah this doesn't make sense.
Also the check on !rx-sta seems superfluous since it's already checked a few lines above.

Regards
Matthias