Search Linux Wireless

Re: Reading the current monitor flags of an interface

On 05/01/16 16:02, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 16:27 +0000, Roger James wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get at the current monitor flags setting of a wireless
monitor mode virtual interface. I have tried to do this by hacking
the
iw source. However I never see a NL80211_ATTR_MNTR_FLAGS attribute
returned in response to the

TOPLEVEL(info, NULL, NL80211_CMD_GET_INTERFACE, 0, CIB_NETDEV,
handle_interface_info,
       "Show information for this interface.");

command in iw's interface.c code.

Questions.

1. Am I wasting my time? (e.g. the rt2800usb driver never returns
this
info, or there is another easy way of viewing this info, etc)

Looks like it's never set in the corresponding kernel code.

johannes
Thanks Johannes, that was my conclusion, but I was not sure if that was true in all cases. I tried another chipset and got the same results. I am trying to debug a problem with an adapter only seeing broadcast and multicast packets in monitor mode, and the significance of the setting of the otherbss flag in this case. It would be really helpful if iw could return the complete state of an interface, but it looks like that would require a kernel patch. This seems like a can of worms to me.

Roger