Search Linux Wireless

Re: question on "mac80211_hwsim: support any address in userspace"

On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 19:29 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> This patch below was added to the kernel around 2/24/2015
>
> I am curious mostly about the first change:  I thought the
> transmitter-addr relates to the radio device, not the vdev (sta, ap,
> etc).

It doesn't, even on real hardware.

> But, wouldn't using data from the header break that assumption?
>

> Is there any actual advantage to having more than one address per
> hwsim radio?  It seems it complicates things for no particular
> reason as far as I can tell?

??
You can do this with any regular hardware that supports multiple
virtual interfaces - each one of them gets its own address.

I think you might be confused by how ath*k implements the address
matching - as I understand it there it's a common address (which may or
may not match the programmed hardware address) along with a mask.
That's not true in general though.

The hwsim commit here just makes wmediumd able to behave properly when
the user changed the vif interface address.

johannes