Search Linux Wireless

State of indoor navigation (11MC) in wireless core API

Hi

There is huge interest both from hardwire and software vendors in
using Indoor Navigation at mobile devices. We are interested in making
the ChromeOS ecosystem using this feature as well.

I checked how Android implements indoor navigation where it is used
for a while. It defines its custom API called Round-trip time [1].
Broadcom chips firmware implements 11MC draft for this.

I looked at current Linux tree and do not see any standard API for
this feature. iwlwifi/mvm/debugfs-vif.c file mentions "Time of Flight"
that seems 11MC related. Though this driver uses debugfs to
communicate with the driver. It does not sound like a best way to do
it. I would expect a callback in cfg80211 interface. Does anybody work
on more conventional API for this 11MC feature?

I expect that many wireless chips are going to implement 11MC in the
nearest future. Having such clean API from the start will simplify the
feature development.

[1] https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/libhardware_legacy/+/master/include/hardware_legacy/rtt.h