Search Linux Wireless

Re: putting ieee80211_tx_control into skb->cb?

> Latest rt2x00.git needs _all_ space (48 bytes)
> However I can trim it down to 40 bytes quite easily,
> since mac80211 wasn't using it anyway I wasn't too conservative
> about the usage. ;)

Heh.

> I could even trim it down further if I disable the TX/RX dumping
> through debugfs as intermediate solution.

I'm working on a patch that keeps 40 bytes available for the driver.

> Very nice, removing the requirement to store the entire control data would
> save a lot of memory for rt2x00. (Currently it has a per-entry copy of the
> tx control data).

Yeah, that's one thing, another is all the copying of it. Since I wrote
the mail I have extended my idea to the internal packet_data struct
which again saves a lot of code.

> > This means that the drivers are free to use everything in skb->cb for
> > their own use but should leave the 'u32 flags' intact, and need to make
> > sure to copy out all the information they need before putting in new
> > information. This fits with all the drivers, rt2x00 needs at most 32
> > bytes (40 now, but one is the txcontrol pointer) while we have 44 free.
> > Also, if the driver rejects the skb in ops->tx(), it must not have
> > modified skb->cb.
>
> For rt2x00 that won't be a problem, it won't touch the skb->cb anyway
> until it has performed all checks for queue entry availability.

Good :)

johannes