Search Linux Wireless

Bridge on mesh gateway

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a mesh network with 2 gateways where i make a bridge between the mesh interface (wlan0) and eth0. I would like to make the PCs out of the mesh attached to eth0 of the GWs, comunicate like they would be on the same LAN. A sort of lvl 2 tunnel through the mesh.

For test, I set up a mesh with 2 nodes GW where I attached 2 PCs on their respective eth0.

PC3::eth0 <-------> eth0::MESH3::wlan0 <-------> wlan0::MESH5::eth0 <-------> eth0::PC5 |____ br0 _____| |_____ br0 ____|

(Sorry for the numbers but is for reflect the captures)

I'm using ath9k, compat-drivers-3.8.3-2-snpu.

First I set up the mesh on nodes MESH3 and MESH5:
iw wlan0 set type mesh
iw wlan0 set freq 5220 HT40+
ifconfig wlan0 up
iw wlan0 mesh join DL_8_M
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.3.3

They can ping each other.

Then I make the bridge on MESH3 and MESH5 and I assign the previous IP to interface br0:
brctl addbr br0
brctl stp br0 off
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br0 192.168.3.3

I join the mesh and turn on root mode and gate announcements:

iw wlan0 mesh join DL_8_M
iw wlan0 set mesh_param mesh_hwmp_rootmode=4
iw wlan0 set mesh_param mesh_gate_announcements=1

I set IP and default gw on PC3 and PC5:
iwconfig eth0 192.168.20.1 up
route add default gw 192.168.20.2

BUT PCs  DON'T PING EACH OTHER...
What am I doing wrong?

I took capture on all 4 machines and I noticed that ARP request sent in broadcast by PC5 reach all machines, also PC3 that reply in unicast to PC5's MAC, but I can't see this ARP reply neither on MESH3... I think the cause is that external PCs MAC address is not known in the mesh so MESH3 nodes don't know where send the pkt. But gate announcements should solve this problem! And I enabled it... but in Action pkts sent every 5 sec by GWs I can see the tag "Root Announcement" and never the tag "Gate Announcements" where they should send the list of MAC addresses of their external connected machines...

I know that 802.11s standard introduced 6 addresses frame for this purpose, is it implemented in ath9k? I can see in the ARP request the MAC of PC5 in "Mesh Control Field"... why is it not registered by MESH 3? Is there a user space command or a proc file that shows the external MAC table?

I read about option 4addr and mode wds, can they help me? (4addr seems to be not supported in mesh mode...)

Is there another/better way to do what I'm trying to do? (I was thinking about a VPN between the 2 mesh GW, and a bridge between eth0 and tun0...).

In attach the 4 capture files (the ping test is near the end, sorry for the mess of other devices beacons...) , and here all MAC addresses and IPs involved:
PC3:
   eth0:
      MAC: 08:9e:01:f6:8e:00
      IP: 192.168.20.2

PC5:
   eth0:
      MAC: 00:24:be:c2:40:96
      IP: 192.168.20.1

MESH3:
   eth0:
      MAC: 00:C0:08:88:F3:36
   wlan0:
      MAC: 04:F0:21:10:10:8C
   br0:
MAC: 00:C0:08:88:F3:36 (same as eth0... I try to make it same as wlan0 but nothing changes)
      IP: 192.168.3.3

MESH5:
   eth0:
      MAC: 00:C0:08:88:F3:34
   wlan0:
      MAC: 04:F0:21:17:FF:F6
   br0:
      MAC: 00:C0:08:88:F3:34
      IP: 192.168.3.5

I tried also assigning to external PCs an IP address in the same net as the mesh (192.168.3.0/24), but nothing changes...

Thanks a lot in advance,

Francesco

--
*Digital Lighting S.r.l.*
www.digitallighting.it

*sede operativa:*
Via Siemens 19 ℅ TIS innovation park
39100 BOLZANO - BZ
tel. (+39)0471.1885030
fax.(+39)0471.593639

*sede legale:*
Via San Marco 11 -  Net Center
4°P int.60 - Palazzo Tendenza 35129 PADOVA - PD
tel. (+39)049.0963071
fax.(+39)049.2108823

INFORMAZIONI STRETTAMENTE CONFIDENZIALI L'invio di questa e-mail è destinato solo ad uso personale e potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate, coperte da segreto professionale e non soggette a divulgazione ai sensi di legge. Se non siete i corretti destinatari, con la presente siete informati che non vi è assolutamente permessa alcuna divulgazione, copia, distribuzione o altro uso delle informazioni in essa contenute. Se per errore avete ricevuto questo messaggio, Vi chiedo cortesemente di informarmi immediatamente al mio indirizzo di posta elettronica.
Grazie.
STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
The sending of this e-mail is intended only for personal use and may contain confidential information, covered by professional secrecy and not subject to disclosure under the law. If you are not the correct recipients, with this you are informed that there isn't absolutely permitted any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the information contained therein. If you have received this message in error, I ask you to kindly inform me immediately to my email address.
Thanks.