Search Linux Wireless

Re: Fwd: bcmdhd: Concurrent use of wlan0 and virtual interface in managed mode

On 09/07/2015 10:41 PM, Gucea Doru wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for helping me. I have some more questions related to parallel
usage of p2p and STA (station) interface.

I use a Nexus 5 device which has a BCM4339 [1] chip and it seems that
it's possible to transfer data in parallel using two connections: one
based on Wi-Fi direct(p2p, 2.4Ghz) and the other one based on a
connection to AP (wlan0, 5Ghz).

This is done by _time-sharing_ the wireless interface radio? From my
understanding the mac80211 layer have support for multiple virtual
interfaces and the switching between this interfaces is done inside
mac80211. Does the driver creates multiple virtual interfaces (one for
p2p and one for the connection to the AP) and the mac80211 manages the
time-sharing between them?

Nope. The BCM4339 chip does not rely on mac80211. Instead, there is an 802.11 stack running on the device, ie. in firmware. The driver creates the primary interface, ie. wlan0. Additional P2P interfaces are created by wpa_supplicant.

I am interested in understanding the code that decides how much the
radio should stay on a specific channel. I would be really grateful if
you could give me some details about the architecture.

That code runs in firmware on the device and is proprietary. So I can not disclose any details.

Regards,
Arend

[1] http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s766879

Thanks,