Search Linux Wireless

Re: compat-2.6: rndis_wlan/rndis_host/usbnet problem(?)

Quoting "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>:

Will this really do the trick? It depends who allocates the
struture -- kernel code using the old kernel headers or compat-wireless
code using the replacable headers.

In the earlier case then code using it can't be ported unless we
come up with an backward-compatible solution, this is possible using
compat.diff, we can add anything there for this effort.

Actually it doesn't after all. There's been other changes on 'struct usbnet'
that my trick doesn't account for, it might only work on 2.6.24 but that's not helpful at all.

Heh fun, so now all usb wireless devices are named wlan%d, all
mac80211 devices are named wlan%d, and yet a few PCI ones (prism54,
etc), still will get their wlan%d. Should we care about just sticking to
one or not bother for old stuff and just moving forward stick to
wlan%d for both all fullmac and softmac devices?

I thought all wireless devices should have wlan%d names.

Also rndis_host should include this patch:
  http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=120626915222918&w=2

drivers/net/usb/rndis_host.c is included as part of compat-wireless.
I don't provide additional patches but just rely on what is already
merged. This has the advantage of pushing people to push
patches directly upstream and getting maintainers to merge them.

Patch was merged into 2.6.25.

 - Jussi