Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Bug ?] 10ec:b723 Realtek RTL8723BE wireless card drops connection

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:10:30AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> To address your problem, power saving does not work correctly on
> this device. That is why there are numerous posts on the web telling
> people to use ips=0. It seems that Ubuntu people never look at
> anything but the Ubuntu literature; however, I'm sure that I posted
> this "suggestion" there as well. The Realtek group is currently
> rewriting the entire dynamic management code for all their drivers.
> When complete, this should improve performance and should help the
> power-save condition. No, I do not know when the new code will be
> ready, or how much improvement it will make.

Thanks for summary.

OLPC is also seeing the issue.  Power saving mode impacts battery run
time; one of our design goals.  ips=0 seems to solve with 3.19, but
not fully with 4.1-rc7; still some periods of packet loss.

I offer to test any rtl8723be changes.

(I'm also looking into IBSS, because Sugar desktop relies on
ad-hoc.  No beacons on creating an IBSS through NetworkManager, but
beacons are fine with "iw dev wlan0 ibss join x 2437".  But I'm not
yet ready to report problem; still some debugging to do.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/