Search Linux Wireless

Re: Question on beacon-miss offloading.

On 06/11/2015 11:03 PM, Michal Kazior wrote:
On 12 June 2015 at 01:38, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/11/2015 02:07 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
In my ath10k CT firmware, I am disabling the beacon-miss offloading
to save space and because it will not work with lots of virtual
stations.

But, it must be that I need some way to tell the stack that this
feature is not enabled, because when suddenly kill my AP, then
the ath10k station connected to it shows endless 'beacon loss' events
in 'iw events' output, but it never actually loses connection.

Stock firmware works fine, so probably I just need to disable
some feature flag when registering the ath10k hardware
when using CT firmware.

With stock firmware, I see a quick dissassociation due to inactivity.

I am having poor luck finding how a driver tells the stack
it has beacon miss offload or not, so, does anyone know how
this is controlled?

I still am not sure why stock firmware works, but it appears
the reason mine is failing is that the ACK status for mgt frames
is always set to TRUE since the ath10k wmi-mgt-tx API is so
lame.  So, mac80211 does a probe, ath10k lies and says it was
acked, and mac80211 then things all is well for another few
seconds.

mac80211 shouldn't do a Probe Req to an AP on beacon loss because
ath10k advertises it supports tx-status report. Hence mac80211 should
use NullFunc frames which shouldn't go through wmi-mgmt-tx but htt
tx-frm.

But then again: NullFunc status reporting via htt tx-frm was broken on
10.1 if memory serves right. I believe it was fixed in 10.2 or 10.2.4.

This problem has been effectively obscured on stock 10.1 by the
offloaded beacon miss.

For what it's worth, I looked at the 4.0.4 ath10k yesterday, and it appears it
ignores the message that the 10.1 firmware sends when beacon loss happens
anyway.  Maybe I misread the firmware code..it's a pile of indirection.

Do you know how the firmware is supposed to signal beacon loss to
the host (from the host's perspective).

Thanks,
Ben

--