Search Linux Wireless

Re: wl18xx: wlconf kernel compatibility

Hi Yaniv,

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Machani, Yaniv <yanivma@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> As the configuration file is HW depended it should be created per platform,
> we have set this wiki page and script to help with initial setup :
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Open_Source_Wireless_Connectivity_wlconf
>
> We have also pushed a patch that makes sure the driver will not crash if there is a file size mismatch,
> and will fall back to default.

What about following proposal. I'm learning libxmlrpc now. It has
following struct *xmlrpc_server_abyss_parms*
(http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/doc/libxmlrpc_server_abyss.html#server_abyss_parameters).
If new parameter will be added, it is done via appending this to the
bottom of the structure. This way old structure is still preserved.

The user of this library must specify till what parameter this
structure should be used (parmSize parameter):

oid
xmlrpc_server_abyss(xmlrpc_env *                const envP,
                    xmlrpc_server_abyss_parms * const parmP,
                    unsigned int const parmSize);

This will be achieved via XMLRPC_APSIZE(log_file_name), i.e. macro
with structure field name. This way old programs still can work with
newer library.

This approach could be taken for wl18xx-conf.bin. Driver calculates
the size of known parameters and conf file size and as long as the
size of wl18xx-conf.bin is not smaller than known size, the driver can
use it.

What do you think about it?

Yegor