Search Linux Wireless

modify mac address with multiple interfaces on a device

Hi there,

I have noticed that having more than one interface pointing to the same
physical device, modifying the address of any of these interfaces gets
limited to the last 3 bits of the address, thus giving only 8 possible values.

Moreover, the mac address is set after the previous interface's one. Let's
put it in a example (output copied by hand)

---

$ iw dev
phy#0
     Interface wlan0
            ifindex 7
            type managed
$ sudo ip link set wlan0 down
$ sudo ip link set wlan0 address 00:11:22:33:44:55
[ mac is changed ]
$ sudo iw phy phy0 interface add mywlan type managed
$ iw dev
phy#0
     Interface mywlan
            ifindex 9
            type managed
     Interface wlan0
            ifindex 7
            type managed
$ ip link
[ ... ]
7: wlan0: [...]
    link/ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 [...]
7: mywlan: [...]
    link/ether 00:11:22:33:44:56 [...]

$ sudo ip link set wlan0 down
$ sudo ip link set wlan0 address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

$ sudo ip link set wlan0 address 00:11:22:33:44:5f
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

$ sudo ip link set wlan0 address 00:11:22:33:44:57
[ mac is changed ]

$ sudo iw mywlan del
$ sudo ip link set wlan0 address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

$ ip link
[ ... ]
7: wlan0: [...]
    link/ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff [...]

---

However, in another machine, using an iwlwifi card, I can change mac
addresses disregarding other interfaces on same physical device. Another
fact, when adding a new interface to a phy, the assigned mac address is
derived from the factory immutable one, instead of from the other interface's.

---

Where can I confirm this behaviour, is it docummented? Am I right saying
that this depends on the actual driver? And how much difference is between
one and another?

Thank you very much