Search Linux Wireless

Re: Ath10 firmware crashing in Monitor mode(Sniffer mode)

On 05/12/2015 03:14 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
On 12 May 2015 at 11:31, s prasad <sprasad.kandregula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May I know, is this firmware or driver constraint?
If somebody have patch for this, am ready to test it.

Short answer: There's nothing, yet.

Long answer:

 From what I know official firmware doesn't support injecting packets
via monitor vdev. This is a firmware limitation.

A way around this may be creating and using an additional vdev, e.g.
AP. This will be rather ugly but may work. There's no patch for it.

An alternative would be to ask Ben to modify his CT-firmware branch.

I gave this a decent try a month or two ago, and had no luck.  The hardware
(from what I can tell), just will not send a frame to an unknown peer.

I noticed the other day that ANQP will not work on ath10k, and I suspect
similar issues..so I will be in that code again.  Maybe I'll learn
how to trick it into sending arbitrary frames.

All that said, there is no way to specify rate-ctrl info on a per-pkt
basis when injecting frames, so I don't know what good injecting frames
on a mgt device will accomplish.

Thanks,
Ben

Also there's a problem with submitting raw 802.11 frames to firmware.
There's some work ongoing [1].

[1]: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2015-May/005144.html

Michał

Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>