Search Linux Wireless

Re: b43 AP does not work

On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 15:41 +0000, Nerijus Baliūnas wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw@...> writes:
>
> > > Just FYI - "access point" mode of the NM applet works (in Gnome). But it
> > > would still be nice to have hostapd working.
> >
> > If you want to use hostapd on the card and the system is running
> > NetworkManager, you can tell NM to ignore the device through the
> > "unmanaged-devices" option in NetworkManager.conf.  manpages have more
> > details.
>
> But I don't want NM to ignore the device - I use the wifi card with NM
> as a client. But sometimes I'd like to use hostapd directly (as NM
> does not allow me to configure AP parameters - channel, wpa number,
> AP name and password). It was possible before, but not any more.

NM actually does allow you to do that by editing the hotspot connection
files directly.  The various UIs (nm-applet, GNOME Shell, etc) may or
may not expose specific knobs like these.  We intend to add AP mode
support to nm-connection-editor, but there are some complications around
valid options in AP mode that need to be addressed in the editor UI
first.

If you take a look into /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ you
should see the config file, where you can edit stuff like 'channel',
'ssid', 'band', 'pairwise', 'group', 'proto', etc, stuff that's familiar
to wpa_supplicant config too.  See 'man nm-settings' for more details on
all these key/value pairs.

Dan