Search Linux Wireless

Re: Does mac80211 support ap mode

> > I read the mac80211 code. I found only the STA, IBSS and Mesh_Point
> > interface type are processed by the code. So does it support the ap
> > mode.
>
> Yes, it does.  I'd suggest using hostapd as your AP daemon and the
> nl80211 hostap driver.  While it's still under pretty heavy development,
> it all should be fairly usable.  Johannes Berg would probably have a
> more up-to-date description of the status of the hostapd nl80211 driver
> and mac80211 AP-mode support.

Yes, AP mode is supported, however, you need patches (see
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/kernel/all/LATEST/series for a
note on it)

The reason for the patches is that while it work, there are a number of
problems:
 * depending on configuration, it may not be IEEE 802.11 compliant
   (this is related to basic rate set and similar things)
 * there may be inefficiencies with the frame handling
 * probably more I'm not thinking of right now

johannes