Search Linux Wireless

Re: mediatek mt7630e and ksoftirqd CPU load

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:44:44 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 11:12 AM, George Moutsopoulos wrote:
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > if this is not the right place to post this, sorry for the spam. I
> > haven't filed a bug report yet. Tell me if I should. I am not sure if
> > the problem is something kernel developers can solve.
> >
> > On a laptop ASUS TP500LN, I have a wireless pcie card mt7630e from
> > mediatek. It is a wifi/bluetooth combo.
> >
> > The driver is not in the kernel, but mediatek provides it for linux
> > from the download site
> > http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/
> >
> > The driver does not support kernel 3.16 and above. I followed the
> > instructions at
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1220146
> >
> > The module compiles and loads succesfully. I followed the post by
> > tobias bora from the ubuntu bug. It compiles on kernel version 3.16
> > and above (tried up to 3.19).
> >
> > Like the rest on the ubuntu bug list, the wifi works and I connect
> > succesfully, but ksoftirqd gets 100% cpu on one of the cores.
> >
> > Shall I open a bug report? I have contacted mediatek twice but they
> > haven't replied. I hope it is something you can look at.
>
> Due to the fact that the driver is not in the kernel, it is not possible to file
> a bug with anyone but the vendor.

Larry, did you notice that rt2x00/mt_linux.c does not have a GPL
header?  Do you think this can cause some legal problems if this code
or anything based on it is merged upstream?

> It is possible that someone on this list with Mediatek experience may be able to
> help you, but there is no certainty. That is the downside of using a vendor driver.

I can try to help, sorry for a late response.

George, can you try https://github.com/kuba-moo/mt7630e ?  This is a
slightly cleaned up version of the vendor driver V3.14_20140625_v2.

I run it for a few hours and I cannot reproduce the issue you describe.