Search Linux Wireless

Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs

On 03/12/2015 03:28 AM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:17:38 +0100
Arend van Spriel<arend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 03/11/15 22:00, German wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:44:44 +0100
Arend van Spriel<arend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

On 03/11/15 21:33, German wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:25:26 +0100
Arend van Spriel<arend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>    wrote:

On 03/11/15 21:17, German wrote:
Hi. When I try to run aformentioned command it hangs for about 20 secs
and no output is returned. What's the problem might be? Thanks

any more details you can share? What kernel version, what specific
device is wlp1s0, do you have any kernel logging.

When I wrote down the questions I was wondering how specifc I should be.
Kernel 3.18.7-gentoo.

ok

wlp1s0 is my network card.

Sure. I meant what brand and model.

Can you run following commands:
$ lspci
$ lsusb

realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

As for kernel logging, I simply don't know if I have it. Thanks

Ok. Can you run following command after aborting the hanging iw scan
command:

$ dmesg

Polling FW ready fail! Firmware is not ready to run.

Ok, so I need some sort of firmware? That's what I thought. What is this and
where can I find it in kernel when I compile it? Thanks

Not familiar with Realtek equipment but it might be provided by the
linux-firmware package so:

$ sudo emerge --ask linux-firmware

Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine.
But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have
wpa_supplicant installed.

Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found this page
[1]. Maybe it helps.

Arend,

Thanks for handling this problem for a user with Realtek equipment. Apparently, this user does not know about "Reply-All", thus I only saw their answers to your questions in the material you quoted.

Larry