Search Linux Wireless

Re: Connection issues with BW Tracking in mac80211

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 21:45 +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
>
>> I did some experiments on this and found the root cause.
>>
>> We are using 5GHz in WORLD Mode, so only passive scan is allowed.
>> So when connecting the very first time, the mac80211 MLME sees that
>> there are no probe_resp ies (only beacon_ies are present) and it sends
>> a directed probe and updates the probe_resp ies. (and also the "ies").
>>
>> But when config is changed and we get disconnected, beacon_ies are updated
>> with the new config, but the probe_resp ies are not.
>> cfg80211_bss_update assigns
>> probe_resp ies to "ies' and mac80211 updates its bss info based on the
>> probe_resp
>> ies which have old config causing the issue.
>>
>> Solution:
>>
>> 1) Make the directed probe mandatory.
>> 2) As you suggested maintain timestamps for probe_resp_ies and beacon_ies
>> and use the latest.
>>
>> Any takes?
>
> What's the operational problem here? I don't really see it. Are you
> afraid users will reconfigure their APs often enough for this to be an
> issue?
Use case point of view, i understand that this doesn't happen often.
But from functional point of view, it can still happen and even
after disconnect mac80211 will not allow connection.

Also solution: would be to flush scan results up on disconnection.