Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8192ee (Thinkpad T440s)

On 2015-02-05 22:11, Larry Finger wrote:
On 02/05/2015 12:56 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

Did the update to the troy branch of the rtlwifi_new repo fix the problem?

Sadly, no. Exact same errors. So I looked at your previous e-mail, which I've pasted (and commented about), below:

Do any ACPI warning messages appear in the early boot log?
I found some mention of a module named thinkpad_acpi. Is it loaded?

There's a bunch of ACPI stuff, some of which seems related:

[ 8.548934] thinkpad_acpi: Unsupported brightness interface, please contact ibm-acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[    8.549028] thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
[ 8.549135] thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control, supported by the ACPI video driver [ 8.549137] thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default... [ 8.550374] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is unblocked [ 8.551069] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_wwan_sw: radio is unblocked

The lack of an "rfkill switch" for WiFi might be disconcerting at first, until you read the corresponding kernel doc, /usr/src/linux/Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt:
0x1005  0x04    FN+F5           Radio.  Enables/disables
                                the internal Bluetooth hardware
                                and W-WAN card if left in control
                                of the firmware.  Does not affect
                                the WLAN card.
                                Should be used to turn on/off all
                                radios (Bluetooth+W-WAN+WLAN),
                                really.
Additionally:
        hotkey_radio_sw:
                If the ThinkPad has a hardware radio switch, this
                attribute will read 0 if the switch is in the "radios
                disabled" position, and 1 if the switch is in the
                "radios enabled" position.

A quick visit to /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_radio_sw shows it with a value of "1", so, as far as I can tell, ACPI is not blocking the WiFi radio.

Sometimes this can be caused by some state left by Windows. Do you dual boot?

Perish the thought. While I haven't booted Windows, neither have I blown away the partition; if you'd like me to boot into it and initialize the card, I'd be willing to give that a try.

Lastly, however, is something weird that makes me think that the extreme step of using Windows may not be required: the USB WiFi I use because my internal WiFi isn't working is an RTL8188SU. If I leave both of them in when I initialize, SOMETIMES I can get the 8192EE to work -- even after I remove the 8188SU. But I haven't once gotten the 8192EE to work without the 8188SU also inserted. And I can't reproduce this functionality reliably.

-Ken