Search Linux Wireless

Sporadic System Lockup in Monitor Mode

I am using the rt3070sta driver on an SBC from Technologic Systems (TS-
7800) for Linux 2.6.21. I have used several USB adapters and they all have
this issue so I don't think it's adapter specific. One example is this
Hawking adapter (http://hawkingtech.com/products/view/174/396.html).

My application runs the interface in monitor mode. I have devices in
various locations and some run for months with no issues. However, in other
locations, putting my adapter into monitor mode immediately freezes my
system, only fixed by a power cycle. Rebooting results in a system freeze
after monitor mode is invoked. Moving the troublesome devices to a
different location will fix the issue so it's not device specific. It is
almost as if the Wi-Fi driver sees some kind of AP, gets confused and
freezes up. So, my issue is location specific-for instance in a particular
building. I've tried changing the Wi-Fi channel and this is effective
sometimes (particularly on channels 3 and 8) but it's inconsistent. System
logs and dmesg show me nothing. Is there something else I can do to try and
prevent this issue beyond getting compat-wireless working on my SBC?