Search Linux Wireless

Re: FW: [ipw3945-devel] iwl3945: disassociation from AP (reason=4) andtimeout, a solution

Johannes Berg wrote:
After browsing the internet, I found a lot of people with the same
problem and no solution. So, I dived into the code and found a simple
solution: ignore disassociation. When a new request arrives to the
wireless, a reconnection is done automatically.
Ignoring the disassociation from the AP is suspect...  wouldn't the AP
be releasing resources associated with the station, requiring a
reassociate/reauth from the station?  Reason 4 seems to mean "Inactivity
timer expired and station was disassociated".

Indeed.

A better solution would be to queue up a reassocation worker if the AP
kicked you off for reason 4, maybe?

It would think so, yes.

johannes

Reason=4 is in fact "Inactivity timer expired and station was disassociated". According to my router log: "Tuesday April 01, 2008 09:08:54 Disassociated: 00-19-D2-4F-22-4D because idle 300 seconds"

Indeed, the default behaviour goes for a reassocation but my hw/sw combination (intel3945/dlink/wep) fails with a status=17 (AP unable to handle new status). After 3 tries, it dies with an AP association timeout. From there is no recovery till I set the interface down and up.

That's why I solved it (perhaps not in the best way) ignoring the disassociation. Now it works.

Andres