Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 MLME scanning - BSS list trouble

> >  The second problem is the one Bill Moss and Vladimir Koutny were running
> >  into. As soon as we receive a probe response from a BSS, we never again
> >  update it from beacons, hence userspace can never find an AP during
> >  passive scanning if we've seen that BSSID before during an active scan.

[...]

> For example WMM parameters are not present in beacon but are present
> in probe response.
> What is needed here is being selective what is updated and what not.
> What is for sure you need at least one probe response before you can associate.

Hm, isn't that particular information also contained in association
which IEs do you have in mind that aren't also part of the association
exchange?

It does seem that the current code is not correct if we allow going from
"have IE" to "don't have IE" when updating from beacons, but I don't see
why probe responses should actually be required, and we certainly do not
try to enforce that.

In any case, do you have any idea how to fix this problem? Simply update
things selectively? Do you want to take over handling it? :)

Also, I'm not sure why it shows up with iwlwifi but no other hardware,
does iwlwifi filter out probe responses if it got a beacon for the same
BSSID or something like that?

johannes