Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 bug? no data is being transmitted after interface is brought down and then up again

On 4/1/08, bruno randolf <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 04:02:25 John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:32:51PM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > > My question is, should this be considered a bug in mac80211?
> > > IMO, when an interface is brought down and then up again, one of the
> > > following things should happen:
> > > 1) Everything works as before
> > > 2) Nothing works, but the card disassociates from the network.
> >
> > #2 would be my vote.
>
> why is that? would it be so difficult to provide #1?

Driver should not take policy decision. It should be user controled applincation
such as NM or ifup script of whatever to decide if to reconnect or not.

> from a usability point of view #1 would be clearly better. whatever the state
> was before, when i bring the interface up it want it to work (associate, join
> IBSS) and be able to transmit data.

For usuablity point of view you should configure your applicantion or
script to do reconnection, but it should not be driver call to do
that.
There are security issues with this that just get more and more compilcated.
In application level you have more options to discover your
environment and handle user preferences. and take the correct call

Tomas