Search Linux Wireless

Wifi OSI Level 1 / PHY

What I want to accomplish is to get to the digitalized RF signal (OSI
Level 1) after the DSP Chip (Broadband Chip) has done its job on the RF
signal received via the antenna. I hope in this way to get information
about the frequency spectrum (Kind of Software Defined Radio but in the 5
MHz spectrum)

After doing some research on Wifi Modules and Adapters I am not sure if
this is possible as all the Wifi Modules that  I have found have the PHY
portion integrated with the media access control (MAC) layer. Maybe if I
can control the firmware I can get to the level 1 data.

With regards to moving forward I think that Atheros seems like a good
choice as according to my search Atheros is supporting FOSS Drivers since
a longer time. My current choice would be the TP-LINK TL-WN821N Wireless
N300 USB Adapter which I think is using the Atheros 802.11n USB chipset
(AR9170) where the ar9170.fw open firmware could be used.

Any thoughts would be really welcome.  Just a short comment if I am
completely wrong with my thinking or if you have a different idea or if
you know about some Modules or Adaptors where the MAC is not integrated
with the PHY portion would be a great help.

Jens