Search Linux Wireless

Re: MediaTek WiFi hardware support in upstream kernel

Am 27.10.2014 um 16:20 schrieb John W. Linville:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:02:00AM +0800, Etna wrote:
>> I am not a developer, but I stumbled upon this just a couple of days ago in
>> the OpenWRT forums:
>>
>> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=53215
>>
>> In short, MediaTek is looking for volunteers to help get their drivers
>> mainlined in the upstream kernels; this includes drivers for their USB and
>> PCI wifi hardware under both the MediaTek and Ralink brands. They are
>> willing to provide "chip info, reference driver, dev board, etc" and even
>> some degree of sponsorship, apparently subject to their management's
>> approval.
>>
>> In exchange, they require that the volunteers fulfill the following
>> requirements:
>> - skilled in wifi driver development
>> - provide a suitable schedule / roadmap
>> - be able to get the code mainlined in the official linux kernel.
>>
>> Those who are keen on taking up the task can contact the original poster at
>> hua.shao[AT]mediatek.com
>>
>> **Disclaimer: I am in no way related to, or under the employ of MediaTek or
>> Ralink. I am only posting this here because I have a handful of MT wifi
>> chips which I hope to see being supported in the upstream kernel so that I
>> can actually use them under Linux,
>
> Well, this is mostly good to see.  I hope there is someone that wants
> to take-up the cause!
>
> If someone is interested in working-on the project above but for
> whatever reason doesn't want to deal with MediaTek on their own,
> feel free to contact me.  I'll try to be helpful however I can.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Sounds interesting and as perfect possibility to learn. I would like to
do it, but i have two concerns:
- i never wrote an wifi driver from scratch.
- i'm seeking for a job. It means if i will find one, this project will
get lower priority.

If nobody has problems with this two points, then i'm ok.

--
Regards,
Oleksij