Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211-hwsim: support creating radios with specific name.

On 10/17/2014 11:53 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 13:12 -0700, greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Otherwise, it can be very difficult to know which is which
if you are trying to do detailed testing.

Having just implemented something with dynamic radios in the
wpa_supplicant test suite, I'm having second thoughts about this.

When you create a new radio, it returns the hwsim identifier, which
allows you to find the wiphy name in sysfs easily. Why not just rename
it afterwards from userspace?

I plan to create (and recreate) thousands of these, and it will be less efficient to
have to rename each of them, as well as making user-space code more complex.

I too was looking at the hostap testing code, and the ability to specify names
of wiphy and the stations on creation time (as some of my other patches allow)
should simplify such testing, as well as my own testing needs.

I have patches to enable hostap to use the kernel features, but have not posted
them since kernel patches are still in flux.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>