Search Linux Wireless

Re: BCM4313 14e4:4727 was working fine, now failing - Ubuntu Linux

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:15:57AM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> + linux-wireless, Seth
>
> On 14-09-14 16:36, Karen Vincent wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to fix a wireless connectivity problem on a Lenovo G585 which has
> > BCM4313 14e4:4727 (rev 01) running on Ubuntu 14.04
> >
> > This was working fine, then following a Linux headers upgrade last week it
> > started to play up (connection failing or repeatedly dropping)
>
> Hi Karen,
>
> I assume the upgrade involved a kernel upgrade and not just the headers.
> It would be very interesting to know the package versions before and
> after this particular upgrade. I added Seth as he may know whether the
> packaging software in Ubuntu keeps any log with that info.

There's both /var/log/dpkg.log* and /var/log/apt/* which contain some
history of what packages were upgraded and when. I know that
/var/log/apt/* shows both the old and new package versions for any given
upgrade, so you might start there.

The subsequent upgrade to a newer release will probably make it harder
to find, but everything there should include dates and times when the
packages were upgraded which ought to help. Hopefully the relevant data
hasn't rotated out of the logs yet.

> > As a LTS Ubuntu upgrade was due anyway I decided to complete this first and then
> > see if this resolved the wireless issues. Ubuntu 14.04 successfully installed
> > (using ethernet wired connection) but the wireless problem remains
>
> Would you happen to know the kernel version before the upgrade as this
> surely looks like a regression.
>
> > Having checked the various online forums I have
> > * run the various updates including -pciids
> > * purged bcmwl-kernel-source
>
> Are you aware that this was actually used?
>
> > * installed linux-firmware-nonfree
>
> Uhm, what is this package?

I don't know the exact details, but I think it basically includes device
firmware which are distributible in some fashion but also have some
limitations on distribution/redistribution. The firmware which brcmsmac
uses is included in the linux-firmware package though and not that one.